- How do you use a dash in the middle of a sentence?
- How do I type an en dash?
- How do you make an em dash on your phone?
- How do you type an en dash in Google Docs?
- How do I insert an em dash in Word?
- What is the difference between em dash and en dash?
- Where is the em dash on the keyboard?
- When should a dash be used in writing?
- How do you use a dash instead of a comma?
- Which is or that is?
- What is an en dash vs em dash?
- What is an em dash?
How do you use a dash in the middle of a sentence?
Use a dash to show a pause or break in meaning in the middle of a sentence:My brothers—Richard and John—are visiting Hanoi.
(Could use commas.)In the 15th century—when of course nobody had electricity—water was often pumped by hand.
(Could use brackets.).
How do I type an en dash?
Hold down one of the Alt keys and type on the numeric keypad: 0150 for an en dash or 0151 for an em dash. The dash appears when you release the Alt key. On a keyboard with no numeric keypad, use a Fn (Function) key combination to type the numbers.
How do you make an em dash on your phone?
Hold the dash button on the Android smartphone keyboard; you’ll get three options for the dash that you want including n-dash and m-dash.
How do you type an en dash in Google Docs?
To create an em dash, press the option and minus key. To create an en dash, press Shift, Option, and the minus key.
How do I insert an em dash in Word?
3. 1. Inserting an em-dash in WordFor Mac: press “option+shift+hyphen key”. … For desktop PC: press “alt+ctrl+minus” on the numeric keypad (the number section on the far right of your keyboard).More items…
What is the difference between em dash and en dash?
The most obvious difference is the length. Hyphens are shortest, followed by the en dash, and then the em dash. Fun fact: the en dash is the width of the letter “N”, while the em dash is the width of the letter “M”. … En dashes are used to show ranges of any kind.
Where is the em dash on the keyboard?
If you have a numeric keyboard, hold down the Alt key and type 0151 for an em dash or 0150 for an en dash.
When should a dash be used in writing?
1. To set off material for emphasis. Think of dashes as the opposite of parentheses. Where parentheses indicate that the reader should put less emphasis on the enclosed material, dashes indicate that the reader should pay more attention to the material between the dashes.
How do you use a dash instead of a comma?
Use Dashes in Place of a Comma Em dashes can be used in pairs to replace commas when writing a parenthetical or interruptive phrase. The dashes have a slightly more emphatic feel, making the reader focus on this information that is set inside the special marks.
Which is or that is?
The clause that comes after the word “which” or “that” is the determining factor in deciding which one to use. If the clause is absolutely pertinent to the meaning of the sentence, you use “that.” If you could drop the clause and leave the meaning of the sentence intact, use “which.”
What is an en dash vs em dash?
There are two types of dash. The en dash is approximately the length of the letter n, and the em dash the length of the letter m. The shorter en dash (–) is used to mark ranges. The longer em dash (—) is used to separate extra information or mark a break in a sentence.
What is an em dash?
The em dash (about as wide as an uppercase M), is a relatively artistic punctuation mark, compared to the more technical hyphen and en dash. An em dash is most often used to indicate a pause in a sentence. It’s stronger than a comma, but weaker than a period or semicolon.